Gorilla Experience – Rwanda
Poignant and thrilling. An encounter with Rwanda’s mountain gorillas is a wildlife experience of a lifetime.
On the edge of Volcanoes National Park, and surrounded by 4 towering peaks, Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge was designed and built by Governors’ Camp, but is wholly-owned by the surrounding SACOLA community via a trust. Governors’ Camp leases the lodge from SACOLA, who use the income to finance socio-economic development and conservation projects in the area, including water and power infrastructure, education and health facilities, and sustainable business development and vocational training. Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge is an exciting combination of world-class lodge, and a driving force for socio-economic development and conservation in the area.
Day 1: Kigali–Volcanoes National Park Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
Arrive into Kigali on your Rwandair flight and spend a short morning getting acquainted with Africa’s most inspirational city. Since its dark days of the Genocide, Rwanda has become a shining example of stability, peace and unstoppable progress. Building upon a culture of remembrance, forgiveness and learning, Rwanda is a beacon of inspiration for the world. Kigali is a clean and bright city, amid Rwanda’s famous rolling hills.
After a visit to the Genocide Museum, take a 2-hour drive through Rwanda’s sculpted hills to the edge of Volcanoes National Park. Arrive at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge in time for a late lunch, then relax and get acquainted with your surroundings. Enjoy a firelit dinner before retiring for the night, as tomorrow will be a big day!
Day 2: Volcanoes National Park Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
Today you trek! Arise very early to a wakeup call with tea or coffee. Arrive to the Main Lodge where you find the Sabyinyo staff waiting to prepare you for the trek with hiking equipment. After a full breakfast, leave the lodge at 6:30am for the 10 minute drive to the National Park Headquarters where you will be assigned a Gorilla family. From here you will drive to the start of your hike to the gorilla family. Enjoy!
After your hike, your afternoon is at leisure – we can recommend a massage from one of our qualified masseuses. Cocktails will be served in the lounge, before another dinner by firelight.
Day 3: Volcanoes National Park Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
Today you have the choice of a second gorilla trek, or perhaps doing a Golden Monkey trek. There are a number of hikes available in the Park, including the Dian Fossey trek to her original research station Karisoke, or to the top of Bisoke Mountain to see the Crater Lake. Other nearby activities include visiting the Twin Lakes, a nature and birding walk in the sacred Buhanga Forest, or a visit to the bustling Ruhengeri Market for a spot of shopping.
We highly recommend doing the SACOLA Community Walk as a fascinating and enlightening experience, introducing you to traditional Rwandan culture as well as viewing the socio-economic development of the area, made possible through tourism.
After a leisurely breakfast, depart back to Kigali. Numerous activities can be enjoyed on this day in Kigali, including a “bean-to-cup” and barista master class at Question Coffee, a tour and gift shopping at the Nyamirambo Women’s Centre, and late lunch with a spectacular view at Pili Pili restaurant. Your Governors’ Camp driver will deliver you to the airport in time for your evening international flight.
- Safari subject to availability of Gorilla Permits. Gorilla Permits are $1500 and are not included in the above price.
- Guests are required to have Akagera Aviation Evacuation Cover, at an extra cost of $20 (subject to change).
High Season (1st June – 31st Oct & 16th Dec -31st Dec) INR 2,70,640/- per person on twin sharing basis
Mid Season (1st Jan – 31st March & 1 Nov – 15th Dec) INR 2,35,280/- per person on twin share basis
Green Season (1st April – 31st may) INR 1,67,620/- per person on twin share basis
These rates are subject to change, in particular vehicle charges and Gorilla permits.
Package Cost Includes:
- All road transfers
- 3 nights full board accommodation at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
- SACOLA community fee
- SACOLA Community Walk
- Kigali city tour, including entry to Kigali Genocide Memorial (a donation is normally encouraged).
- Other activities will have an additional cost.
EXTRAS PAYABLE FOR THIS SAFARI
The extras payable on this safari are any visa fees or departure taxes, return flights to Kigali, fine wines and champagnes, activities and meals in Kigali, any personal expenses and personal insurances.
- Gorilla Permit are currently US $1500 per person.
- Golden Monkey permits are currently US $100 per person.
- Hikes to Dian Fossey Research Centre or Mt Bisoke is currently US $ 75 per person.
- Please note that children under the age of 15 years are not permitted to gorilla trek
- These are indicative pricing
- It doesn’t include GST
- Price are dynamic may change
- Rooms are subject to availability
- Cancellation policy please check before making a request.
- Deposit payment is required at the time of reservation
- Package is subject to availability at time of booking.
- Price is based on per guest on sharing basis only. If A child or 3rd guest wishes to join, please enquiry with us for their rate.
- Full payment will be required to secure your Safari.
- Payment by credit card will attract a 3% service charge.
- Once confirmed and paid, package is non refundable.
- Package is non negotiable or changeable, pre and post add ons (additional nights, Zanzibar, excursions etc.) can be connected, enquire with us for assistance.
- If travelling during Easter, additional supplement fee per guest per day to be applied.
- Government may increase park fees/ permits at any time and you will be liable to pay for the difference.